Wish Upon a Wedding

• RSS
  • Linkedin
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
  • Twitter
  • Facebook

Christian, a local celebrity in his own right, has been with the City of Houston for over 25 years and has been in a punk band since 1978. Alexis says that from afar he can look little intimidating with his stature and hair, but when he opens up and speaks all of that “melts away” and he becomes the nicest, kindest, and gentlest man you will ever meet.

Christian and Alexis met at an art gallery opening through mutual friends. One of her friends suggested, “You should go talk to him!  Tell him you have a scooter too!” After only driving a scooter for 3 months, Alexis’s friends pushed her over to talk to Christian, and she awkwardly said to him, “UH—I have a scooter!” The two laughed and talked the entire evening away. Shortly thereafter at another show they saw each other again and throughout the evening Christian kept coming back to talk to Alexis and eventually got her number that night and they have been inseparable ever since.

Six months into the relationship, the unthinkable happened: Christian was driving on his scooter and was trying to make a left turn from the center lane and someone hit him and he ended up fracturing 3 ribs. The first person he called was Alexis. After he got home from the hospital, she stayed there to take care of him and as she describes this experience, “just kind of never left – only to go back to her place to move.” Alexis counts this as their first test.

In 2007, Alexis had a continuing problem with her gallbladder that she just disregarded as heartburn or something that would just go away. It came to a head one evening where she said she couldn’t take it anymore. She wouldn’t let Christian call her an ambulance. So, Christian did what any man in love does: he draped Alexis over his shoulder and drove her to the hospital…on the scooter. He stayed there with her while she was admitted and they took out her gallbladder. During recovery, they kept asking her questions such as, had she ever worked around asbestos, a shipyard, or an auto parts place? Her answers all were, no. On August 7th, Christian’s Birthday, they had a follow up with the surgeon and he diagnosed her with Mesothelioma.

Mesothelioma, is a rare form of cancer that develops from the protective lining that covers many of the body’s internal organs, the mesothelium. Alexis has a rare form of the cancer that is attacking the lining of her diaphragm. However, in her case, the cancer was not showing up on any scans. It only was discovered during her gallbladder surgery where spots were found.

After a year of searching she finally found a doctor that was willing to help her. Not only does she have a rare form of cancer, but the progression is abnormal. After discussing her diagnosis and outcome, Alexis described to me Christian’s loving personality, “He believes in the goodness of everybody. He helps me see things in a more positive light. He balances me out quite a bit. His smile still changes everything and he believes in miracles. That really was a big part of how I got through what I had to go through.”

Christian and Alexis will be getting married later on this year.

Alexis + Christian Love Story Video

Thank you to the Wish Granters who made this love story possible:

Photography: Christine Tremoulet Photography

Videography: DKM Films

Categories: Blog, Love Stories

31 Responses so far.

1. Sheryl Velasquez says:

what a wonderful love story. Congratulations to you both!

2. Maddy Cat says:

This makes me SO HAPPY!!!!!!! Congratulations! I can’t think of two people in the world more perfect for each other. You are both amazing, and I’m honored to call you my friends <3

3. Jen Gorman says:

Alexis is an extraordinary and inspiring woman. Christian is a an extraordinary and inspiring man. Christian and Alexis are two of the warmest, most compassionate, and caring people I’ve ever met. They are an absolutely beautiful couple. They are one if those rare couples that make even cynics believe in true love. It’s about time they get hitched.

4. Bobbie Croft says:

Congratulations. God bless you both and keep you in His care. Alexis, I put your name on my prayer mirror when Lian told me years ago about the ‘meso’ so therefore I pray daily for your well being.

5. Linda Younger says:

Thanks for sharing your beautiful story. Congratulations. Fondly, Linda

6. ronnie kopal says:

love is the life line of all people

7. LeTesia Callahan says:

Congradulations you guys! You are the most awesome couple!

8. James Moody says:

Congratulations you two!! Best of luck!

9. Julia Olivarez says:

Beautiful love story! How incredibly fortunate you are to have found each other. Blessings to you both :-)

10. Dan Workman says:

Ah, Christian. I know just how you feel since I fell head over heals in love with my Christi. Your story is inspirational–keep your focus on the upsides. Alexis, you are a lucky lady!

11. Dianna Ray says:

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! And true to the article, Christian does have the best dang smile. Wishing you both happiness and health.

12. Sin Younger says:

Oh that is so wonderful I hope I get invited to the wedding.

13. Kirk Smith says:

I am so happy for you Christian. For you are one of the nicest most giving person I have ever met. This could not happen to a better friend. Congrats to both of you and may your lives together be filled with love and joy.

14. Dolores Servin says:

Congratualtions to the two of you. Christain is the most incredible person I have ever met. We worked together at the City of Houston. Alexis, you are one lucky lady. I wish you both ever lasting happiness.

15. Hakim says:

I’m so so happy for u guys, congratulations.

16. Michael Martinez says:

Congrats to you two! Christian is a gentlemen umoung gentlemen. The best to you.

17. Sarah Hill says:

I’ve known Christian for years. I’m so happy that he found you, Alexis. You guys give me hope for finding someone for myself, someday. Maybe.

18. Trish Herrera says:

Gorgeous truth and love shines and it radiates through all trials.
    Congrats!! Nothing fake about this true love!!

19. Annette Wilzig says:

You two are so perfect for one another. Two beautiful human beings finding one another. I am so very happy for you both and wish you two all the best in health, happiness, success in all you do. Reading your love story made me weep for joy at the obvious love you both have for one another.

20. debbie clay (juju zowie) says:

christian + alexis …
    you are both such genuinely kind, caring, talented and unique people…together you are an invincible force of happiness…sharing your story with your friends and the world is another testament to the courage, spirit and grace you eminate even in the most trying and difficult of times…you are truly an inspiration to me and others as well…i wish you lots and lots of life and love to come…xoxo -juju

21. Roxanna Worthington-Owen says:

Congrats to you both! Christian this is a wonderful love story. That video and all the photo’s are amazing. I wish only the best for you both as love is such a wonderful thing. Brightest blessing and love, Roxanna and Frank

22. ZuZu Zaleski says:

I am SUPER excited for both of y’all!! Y’all aren’t the kind of couple I yell out, “go get a room!” Because y’all are so darn cute I can’t help but smile and be happy for y’all and the love you share. Congratulations!!! I love you each so much!!

23. J.R. Delgado says:

Congrats to you both!!!!!

24. shana says:

i love you both and wish you light years of joy together! you are both beautiful people and cared for dearly by so many. this wedding will happen…i believe it!

25. Kevin Malloy says:

It’s great to finally know who you are. Dude, you’re one of the first memories I have of moving to Houston. I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it here or adjust. I was somewhere on Westheimer when a streak of red zipped past. “Hmm, that a friggin huge mohawk. Sweet scooter too. Houston may be alright.” Congrats to both of you. I wish you the best in health and happiness.

26. Christine says:

I can’t stop laughing about Kevin’s story because I wonder how many times Christian has had that effect on people! I was told a nearly identical story by a friend of mine the other day – it was even when Christian had a red mohawk!

Alexis & Christian are some of the most amazing people I’ve met — I was so glad to have the opportunity to do this photo shoot with them, and having them in my life has been GREAT! I can’t wait for their wedding day!

27. tracy pierce says:

I wish only the best for you two, but especially a long, happy life together.

28. Sandra says:

Such an amazing story. Many blessings to you.

29. Polly Koontz says:

Their love is a beautiful journey. I was fortunate to work with Alexis during the early years of their relationship and witnessed the electricity and romance between them. They’ve got one of those rare and special things going on!

30. [...] Thank you to all of the Wish Upon a Wedding wish granters that helped make this session so special! You can read more about Alexis & Christian on the Wish Upon a Wedding Blog. [...]

31. Amy Leonhardt says:

Hi Christian,

It was very nice meeting you today and wish you and Alexis nothing but joy! Have a wonderful wedding and hope you two are able to be in the moment and soak in all the love on your special day. Amy Leonhardt.